Thursday, September 15, 2005

I finally got soft copies of the photos of the Sabah trip. Thought I'd share them with all of you. That's me with the red helmet , seriously rowing away!


It was pretty good fun, though tiring. But as I mentioned in the previous post, I think Jeram Besu was a bit more challenging! Anyway, my body, especially my shoulders still ached the next day. I was frantically looking for a good massage the following day!

The next photo was taken by my colleagues who went to the Kinabalu Park the following day.

The Rafflesia is the the world's largest flower and is also one of the hardest to find. I didn't join the trip to Kinabalu park, but my colleagues who did were lucky to come across this one, which is in full bloom. Apparently, Sabah is known to have the largest concentration of the Rafflesia population. This exotic flower takes up to 15 months to bud and only lasts 7 days in bloom. Its Malay name is Bunga Pakma and some of you may already know that it is also sought for its medicinal properties. Some history ... the first Europeans to discover the Rafflesia were Sir Stamford Raffles and Dr Joseph Arnold. They stumbled across one whilst on a field trip near Bengkulu, Sumatra in 1818.

And finally, sunset as seen from the hotel we were staying, Sutera Harbour Resort.



With that, good night all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ on the Jeam Besu being more challenging. Looking at your photos, I think your Sabah's trip is more challenging.

My account of Jeram Besu can be read at http://www.palmx.org/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=164&Itemid=1

Azmi

Bro SDAR 80-84