Friday, July 29, 2005

Mohd Ezzat Aiman's Berkhatan Ceremony

It so happened that I was the only Sister of 74 who attended Abung's berkhatan ceremony for her son. Even then, I was a bit late because I didn't bother to find out exactly where Ukay Heights was, because I assumed Jeff knew. And he assumed that I knew. So there we were, driving up two wrong hillside residences along Hulu Kelang road (the first, Hillview, right up to Highland Towers, then the Ukay Perdana/Bukit Antarabangsa access) until we finally got the directions from a friend who told us it was the first left turn after the SPCA in Ampang Jaya. At this point, I didn't bother calling Abung because I reckoned she would be busy with the guests, and wouldn't hear the phone anyway.

It was an unnerving journey into Ukay Heights, since it was pretty dark and secluded, and we took several wrong t urns ending in dead-end roads. Finally we found Jalan Pimping which, incidentally could have been accessed easily from Jalan Hulu Kelang itself since it was just beside Jalan Hulu Kelang!

Anyway, we were just in time to catch the kompang and followed the entourage into the house. Abung really surpassed, I guess, for a berkhatan ceremony. But then again, we all know Abung right? Jangan marah, Datin Dragon! ;-) ... Abung was resplendent in her baju datin, which was colour coordinated with the rest of her family members, and looked more "Datin" than usual. (I can imagine Dillot, Pah, Tiger and our other Datins frowning at this. Sorry lah Ladies, not trying to stereotype you guys. Just that usually, when I meet Abung she is dressed casually. Smart casual, that is.)

The house was decorated with candles and a variety of lighting, and bunga melur and rose petals were strewn all along the walkways. The Doa was followed by a Berzanji by Rabbani and they were really good.

Ezzat, the young "Putera" was seated on a dais (pelamin) decorated with lilies, bunga melur, and other fresh flowers. In fact the scent of fresh flowers filled the whole house and I imagine it could have been a bit too much for some (especially my pregnant colleague who, fortunately for her, didn't turn up). Seated beside him were his 2 sisters who were all dolled up and looked like Dayangs for the Prince. It occured to me that Abung's offsprings looked mostly like her!

After that the guests performed the Tepung Tawar accompanied by Rabbani's cool crooning. The poor boy looked rather tired and sleepy; lucky he didn't really understand what he would have go through the next day at the hospital! In fact Abung remarked that the whole idea was to get him excited about the event so that he wouldn't think too much about the berkhatan procedure.

I met Abung's mom and she didn't look a day older than the time in TKC. You all remember her, don't you, from college days?

We didn't stay too long after dinner because we didn't know anyone else apart from the family. And Hafiz and Jon, I passed your salaams to Abung, as requested.

My little girl was full of questions, though.
"How old is the boy, Mama?"
"About your age. Nine, I think"
"Does that mean I have to go through this as well?"
"No, only for boys"
"Why?"
"Well, you had your Bersunat when you were a baby"
"Why boys do later?"
"Well, they can do it as babies, too"
"It must be scary"
"Perhaps"
"Do they cut off their (excuse me) birds? That turns them into girls, right?"
"Heavens no!"

Somehow, I don't think I handled that pretty well, but she seemed contented that she didn't have to have the procedure done.

"Must be embarrassing to have to sit on the Pelamin"
"Not necessarily. Some people enjoy that."
"Johan (relative's son) is nine too. I am going to ask him when he will bersunat."
"Don't you dare! That could scare him!"

Well, that's my report on last Friday's event. Abung said she will pass me some photos which I can attempt to put on the blog. (Hey, I am still learning, okay?).

And no, she didn't make me write this. :-D

No comments: